Love the idea of smudging but opposed the scent of typical herbs like sage? Don’t worry - you’re not alone. And the idea that people like you are missing out on the cleansing and stress-reduction benefits of smudging just because of the smell of a few common herbs seems like such a shame! So, to get you over that little hurdle, I’ve created a list of (just a few) smudging alternatives for you to get started with!
- Palo Santo, the sacred aroma wood: Widely used for spiritual purification and energy (house) cleansings AND its smell has been known to enhance creativity!
- I fell in love with the aroma of palo santo from the moment I first inhaled its scent.
- Palo santo has been used by the South American shamans for centuries for the purposes of healing as well as for medicine and smudging.
- It’s very easy to use the aromatic sticks, similar to an incense or a smudge stick. Let it ignite and burn for less than a minute, then gently blow out the flame.
- You can smudge your own energy with Palo Santo the same way as you would do with the white sage smudge sticks. One Palo santo stick goes a long way - remember, you do not need to use the whole stick during smudging.
- Our Palo Santo is ethically harvested from Peru (which means it is only taken from fallen branches or twigs).
I have Palo santo essential oil here, check it out
- The ritual of burning sacred resin is very old and powerful. Sacred resins are from healing trees, the most ancient ones in use being Frankincense, Copal and Myrrh. Each of these sacred resins has their own unique properties and are used for cleansing and protection.
- Essential Oils
Essential oils are a great alternative.
The effects might not be as powerful as it would be when smudging with sacred resins & herbs because the fire element is missing, however the clearing will still occur.
All you need to do is buy an aromatherapy diffuser and essential oils of your choice. Unlike all the smudging options, you do not have to move the aromatherapy diffuser from room to room. You can simply place a few of them around the house - in the bedroom, bathroom, and living room for example.
Here are some essential oil blends I highly recommend:
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
-20 drops rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 Juniper essential oil
Cleansing and attracting good energy
-15 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 25 drops lemon of essential oil
I have a selection of quality natural essential oils available online here - happy browsing!
- Smudging Spray
- The smudging spray is the easiest way to perform smudging. It may not be as powerful because again, the fire element is missing, however it will still create a considerable shift in your space.
- The term “smudging spray” means using liquid made by mixing one or several essential oils with pure water. The most popular smudging spray is white sage, lavender and palo santo.
- The liquid spray can be used at your home, car and your workplace. It is safe, especially if you have a sensitive smoking alarm and it is very easy to use.
- Our smudging sprays are 100% natural!
Salt and Basil
From where I am from in New Caledonia, we very often use Sea Salt and Basil for cleansing our home and ourselves, in order to remove all negative energy.
Here is a step by step process that you can use anytime:
- Sea salt or Seawater
- Hot water
- 1x bouquet of Basil
- Make sure to clean your home and open the windows
- Fill up 1L of seawater or use Sea salt grains
- Boiled 1-2L of hot water and get half a bucket fill up
- Add in your bucket the Seawater or sea salt ( 400 grams )
- Add your Basil
- Mix all ingredients together
- Mop the floor of each room or use a kitchen towel on the surfaces
- While cleansing, be present and ask your guides to assist you in this process by removing any negative energy
- Do not rinse, leave it
If you need to cleanse yourself, use the same principle above during your bath and keep it the entire night, then rinse yourself in the morning. Repeat every day for 1 week if necessary.
- Orange Peels
Oranges are used in feng shui to bless and uplift the energy of a space.
It’s a great alternative to smudging, and let’s be honest, they're easy to find!
The easiest method is to use fresh orange peels to clear a space. Simply peel the oranges and save the skins. The peels can be gently squeezed to release their oils and energy into the air or you can hand the peels in the rooms for a couple of days, it will release their natural perfume.
Reiki can also be used for cleansing the energy in your space or in yourself.
In Reiki we use sacred symbols for releasing blockages and energies.
If you are a Reiki practitioner or if you have been attuned to Reiki 2, you will be able to use Reiki for cleansing.
Leti healing offers a house cleansing service if you need some assistance by using sacred herbs and Reiki.
Selenite crystal is one of the most powerful crystals. It is highly recommended to have a selenite crystal at home or your office space as it works continuously to cleanse, remove negative energy and create a sense of calm in that particular space.
It is a very simple yet effective alternative and obviously can be used in conjunction with other cleansing methods for a cleaner, clearer outcome.
We have a selenite collection on our website, check it out and start your journey towards a far more cleansed and calm house and body!